Monday, June 30, 2014

Recipe of the Month - Banana Protein Pancakes

I want to start posting some of my go-to recipes at least once a month. Sometimes it can be really difficult finding foods that are both delicious and nutritious, and each week I try to experiment with different foods. Not going to lie, some of the meals I experiment with turn out really gross, but occasionally I will find or create one that I just love!

For years I have always wanted to have a go-to protein pancake that is easy to make and gives me everything I need in the morning. I finally created a recipe I like, so here it is!


Here's what you need:
- 1/2 cup oat flour [I blended oatmeal to a flour texture]
- 1/3 egg whites
- 1/3 vanilla greek yogurt [I use a light version]
- 1/8 tsp of baking powder
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 Truvia sweetener packet
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder [Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series - Whey Isolate - Vanilla]
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Optional: 1/2 cup blueberries for on top

How to make it (makes about 3 good-sized pancakes):
- Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl: egg whites, yogurt, vanilla extract, banana, milk
- Use a fork or whisk to blend these ingredients well. If there are little chunks of banana, that's ok, but ideally you want it to be a smooth texture.
- In the same bowl, add your dry ingredients: oat flour, protein powder, sweetener packet, baking powder
- Mix all the ingredients together. If the mixture seems too dry, add a little more milk until it is a good, pancake batter consistency.
- Warm a medium to large nonstick skillet (you can spray it with nonstick spray, but I don't and it seems to work for me) Flip pancake when you start to see bubbles or when bottom turns light brown
- Optional: When your pancakes are done and removed from the pan, put your blueberries in the same pan and warm them until they begin to pop. I helped the process by pressing on the blueberries with my spatula so that they didn't burn or overcook.

Nutritional Value (without blueberries):
Calories: 558
Carbs: 78
Fat: 5
Protein: 55
Sodium: 339
Sugar: 13

Nutritional Value (with blueberries):
Calories: 599
Carbs: 89
Fat: 5
Protein: 56
Sodium: 340
Sugar: 20

Enjoy! If you make it, or post a picture of this recipe, let me know what you think and feel free to tag me on instagram @fitwifeforlife

What are some of your favorite recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment