Thursday, May 1, 2014

From Night to Morning


So recently I made the switch from working out solely at night to primarily the mornings. My current schedule has me working out 5 out of 6 mornings a week and I have discovered significant differences in the energy levels, my moods, my sleeping patterns, and my physical results. Here is what I have learned:

It's Easy to Hit Snooze:
In the mornings I like to talk myself out of getting up and I feel like we are all masters of this habit. It's like my blankets tie me to my bed at 6am. No exaggeration, it took me over a month to wake up early for the gym. I knew I wanted to, I knew it was a good idea, but I couldn't wake up extra early to workout before going to work. Finally, I started making it happen and a lot of it is due to having a workout buddy to meet.

My Metabolism is Mighty Fast:
I have noticed that after a morning workout, my desire for food during the day has increased. When I eat something light at 6:15am and hit the gym for a solid hour, my body gets going and starts working a lot earlier than it used to. I used to roll out of bed just in time to shower before work and passively want breakfast. Now, I crave it and can't wait for my next healthy snack. #snack30

More Time is Awesome:
I have a very sedentary day job. When work was done for the day, I would go straight to the gym and spend at least an hour or more working out before heading home. I would be so hungry for dinner, collapse on the couch, and barely have time to spend with my husband before sleep. Now, my workouts are done long before I get home and I have so much more time to make healthy meals and relax. I don't have to battle the "guilt" of skipping the gym if we want to be spontaneous because now my workouts are done in the mornings!

Catchin' Dem Z's:
I cannot wait for bed. I sound like an old fart, but after working out so early, working all day, and spending time with family, my bed is all I want. It is so much easier for me to wind down and sleep than it was after an hour-long, nightly workout session. My bed is just awesome, end of story.

Change is Never Easy:
Although I love working out in the morning, it is still a tough transition. I am, by nature, a night owl. There are days I would kill for a nap at 3:30, but if I eat the right foods and give my body the energy it needs, I feel awesome.

It's definitely hard to make a change, even if it's for the better. I have heard it said, it takes doing something consistently for 2 weeks to make it a habit. So, mornings, here I come!

"Change brings opportunity." - Nido Qubein

When do you workout?



No comments:

Post a Comment